bookwormblurbs

Bookworm Blurbs

I think my Kindle bit the dust...

My Kindle has always worked nearly perfectly. I never thought I wanted one, but my fiance got me one for Christmas almost 4 years ago. The first one I got crapped out the following summer, but this one has served me well for almost 3 years.

Then, tonight, it completely froze up. I've rebooted it like 5 times, even tried factory reset - no luck. I called Amazon customer service, but since my Kindle's out of warranty, the most they can do for me is give me a discount on a new Kindle.

I'm so torn over what I should do. I absolutely love the accessibility of my Kindle. I love how affordable eBooks are in comparison to most books that are bought brand-new (I haven't gotten into the whole used-book thing, but, after this, I feel like I probably should...) I've gotten so used to using the Kindle that I don't know how I'm going to go back to not having one - while I still read regular books, the fact is, I also love my Kindle. But I do NOT have the money to buy a new one, even at a discount, and even if I were to do that, I'm super annoyed with Amazon for not being more proactive in trying to make this right when I've been a loyal customer for years.

What do you think, booklikes friends? I think I'm going to have to go the traditional book route for the time being, but if I do end up getting a new eReader, do you think I should go back to Kindle? I know very little about other eReaders - which ones have you used, and do you prefer them to Kindle? Price is most definitely an issue - if I'm going to be purchasing a new eReader, I'd like to be able to do so for less than $100. Any advice that anyone can offer on this predicament would be VERY much appreciated!