bookwormblurbs

Bookworm Blurbs

Reading progress update: I've read 19%.

Tess of the d'Urbervilles, a Pure Woman - Thomas Hardy

So far, this is my favorite 2014 read for the classics discussion group for sure! I really like Thomas Hardy's writing style and I adore the characters that he's created - though, in many cases, it's in an "I love to hate you" kind of way. I feel so bad for Tess; she's a very sweet, though naive, girl, and it totally sucks how her family just throws her into horrible situations. But as horrible as they are, her family cracks me up - they're just so ridiculous! They actually kind of remind me of the Bennets in Pride and Prejudice, but they take their antics to an even greater degree and while the Bennets mean well, I think that the Durbyfields are too ignorant to make decent parents. And I think Alec is a total creep. I hope Tess continues to stay firm against his unwanted advances, but given that the next section is entitled "Maiden No More," I'm thinking she doesn't, haha.

If you're interested in joining the Classics discussion group in our April read of Thomas Hardy's Tess of the d'Urbervilles, click here