bookwormblurbs

Bookworm Blurbs

Reading progress update: I've read 378 out of 487 pages.

Divergent - Veronica Roth

I've been meaning to read this for a good year and a half, and now I've finally gotten around to it. I started it only today and as you can see, I'm already over halfway through - always a good sign.

I have to say, I don't think it quite lives up to the hype. The writing style is incredibly immature and simplistic - frankly, I think a third grader would be capable of reading it (though it's a bit violent for a child that young), and considering that the target audience is young adult, I do wish that it presented more of a challenge. It also was a slow beginning, in my opinion, and Tris gets annoying at times as she's extremely self-aware and any time she does ANYTHING she's like "omg am I being too selfish? Am I letting my parents down? Wahhhh!" Which I suppose is understandable considering her upbringing, but seriously, enough already.

That aside, once the story picked up, it got really good. And despite some of her annoying qualities, Tris is pretty likeable, for the most part. And Four is fascinating - he's so mysterious!

Alright, that's enough for tonight. Bedtime for this girl - but you can expect me to finish this tomorrow!