bookwormblurbs

Bookworm Blurbs

January Reading Goals!

Buzz (HP Pettersson, #2) - Anders de la Motte Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe - Fannie Flagg The Fellowship of the Ring  - J.R.R. Tolkien Netherworld - Lisa Morton Snowblind - Christopher Golden Paper Hearts - S.R. Savell The Book Thief - Trudy White, Markus Zusak The Jewel of Seven Stars - Bram Stoker

I did not read all of the books that I had hoped to read in December, because my December was crazy, so you may notice that some of these are repeats. However, I'm hoping that January will slow down a bit. It should - the holidays are over, my fiance goes off to his internship next weekend so after that I probably won't see him for at least a few weeks, and my siblings will all be back to school, so my life should be a bit less crazy. But I also have a wedding to plan and I start my new job at the library on Monday (I CAN'T WAIT!!!), so I may find my huge reading goals to be unrealistic again. But I think it's best to be ambitious, don't you?

Buzz: this is the sequel to Game, and it's set for release on January 7, 2014. I received an ARC from NetGalley and I started it at the end of December. This ARC is much more reader friendly than Game was, and since the main problems I had with Game were with the ARC format, not the story itself, I"m enjoying Buzz immensely.  Buzz resumes HP's story about 4 months after the start of Game, and although HP now has everything he could possibly want, he misses the adrenaline of the Game. And it sounds as though his wish to return to the Game might just come true.

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe: after a long and very depressing hiatus, my xanga-then-tumblr book club has finally returned for our Christmas break session! We're currently reading this lovely gem, which I'd been itching to read for a good two years now. If you're not familiar with it, this is the story of the friendships between Mrs. Threadgoode and Evelyn and Idgie and Ruth, and the latter two ran the little Whistle Stop Cafe in the 1930s. I'm so glad I'm finally reading this, I've heard such good things and so far, it's definitely living up to my high expectations!

The Fellowship of the Ring: another book that I'm reading with  my reading club. This is on our "longer reads" list - for books that are longer than 400 pages or so, we stick them on this list and give ourselves longer reading deadlines, and read them simultaneously with our regular list. We find that works much better than trying to cram it into the short amount of time that we usually give ourselves for our shorter books. If you're not familiar with this book, it's the story of Frodo Baggins and his eccentric group of friends as they seek to destroy the One Ring, all while being chased by evil forces. It's a classic fantasy novel and this is my first time reading it - I love it so far!

Netherworld: I received this intriguing ARC from LibraryThing, set for release on January 10, 2014. When 19th-century English widow Lady Diana inherits the keep of supernatural portals from her late husband, she finds her hands full with an impending war caused by demonic entities crossing over from the Netherworld. It's up to Diana, accompanied by a Chinese sailor, her feline guardian, and a mysterious scholar, to solve the mystery of her husband's death and prevent a supernatural war with apocalyptic consequences.

Snowblind: another ARC from NetGalley, this book is set to be published on January 21, 2014. It centers on the New England town of Coventry, which was overcome by a huge blizzard twelve years ago from which the town never recovered. As a new storm approaches, losses from the previous storm are remembered by the town's inhabitants. The book is advertised as a supernatural thriller and I can't wait to see what it's like!

Paper Hearts: another ARC that I received from LibraryThing. Michelle Pearce is a 17 year old outcast, who's been traumatized by her father's death, her absentee mother, and an overbearing counselor. Michelle just wants to be left alone. But then she meets Nathaniel, a high school dropout who works incredibly hard in order to care for his grandmother and teaches Michelle that if you look hard enough, you'll find that there are good people out there.

The Book Thief: I have been planning to read this book for SO long, and now I'm finally getting around to it! Liesel is a foster child living in Germany in 1939, who supports herself by stealing, and then she discovers her weakness: books (I can so relate - to the love for books, not the theft, haha). Liesel learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors and the Jew that her foster family hides in their basement. I've been assured by my mother, who also is a HUGE bookworm, that this book is amazing and that I need to buy a huge box of tissues before I read it. Can't wait to read this!

The Jewel of Seven Starsthis is the January read for booklikes' very own Classics discussion group. It's free on Amazon, and I hadn't heard of it before the group introduced me to it. I'm very excited to read it, as it's by Bram Stoker and he's just amazing. It involves Egyptology, which is fascinating, and mystery and mythology and it just sounds wonderful! So excited to read this one.

What books are you planning to read this month? Have you read or heard of any of the ones on my list?