bookwormblurbs

Bookworm Blurbs

A Christmas Carol

A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens

Ebeneezer Scrooge is a grouch. He is a greedy businessman who never has a kind word for anyone and is infamous for his lack of Christmas cheer. When the three ghosts of Christmas pay him a visit, Scrooge is given the opportunity to examine his conscience, inspiring him to change his ways and be transformed by the spirit of Christmas.

Though I'd read Dickens in high school, I'd never gotten around to reading this classic Christmas story. It's been on my to-read list for a while, but, like many books on there, I feared I'd never actually get to it. But then, the Classics discussion group here on booklikes hosted a group read! Since A Christmas Carol is free on Amazon, I saw no reason not to participate, and I'm so glad that I did!

Although this book is remarkably short, especially for Dickens, it took me the whole month of December to read, simply because I've been so busy. But whenever I did get a chance to sit down and enjoy the story, I found myself completely immersed in the Dickensian world, thanks to his remarkable skill at description. Dickens pays so much attention to detail that he illustrates everything, from Scrooge's black heart to Tiny Tim's cheery smile. Although the book is brief, Dickens still manages to write a fully developed story that pulls on the reader's heartstrings.

The most developed character by far was Scrooge. I loved reading about his transformation from the miserly grouch that he is in the beginning to a charitable, merry man that he becomes by the end. I suppose Dickens could be criticized for having this transformation happen too quickly, but I think that it makes sense, given Scrooge's experiences, especially his journey with Christmas Yet to Come.

It is easy to see why this book has become a Christmas classic! I definitely enjoyed reading it and I plan to re-read it every year as a future Christmas tradition. Also, I definitely want to re-watch the movie -  my fiance and I saw it in theaters when it came out, but I'd like to watch it again after having read the book.