bookwormblurbs

Bookworm Blurbs

December Book Batch!

Becoming Josephine: A Novel - Heather Webb Buzz (HP Pettersson, #2) - Anders de la Motte Snowblind - Christopher Golden The Tenth Circle - Jon Land Runner - Patrick  Lee Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe - Fannie Flagg Wild Card - Jamie Wyman The Highwayman's Bride - Jane Beckenham Compromising Willa - Diana Quincy Netherworld - Lisa Morton

These are all the books I hope to read in December! Let's hope I get to all of them :)

December is finally here! It's my favorite month of the year - my birthday's on the 16th and obviously I adore Christmas. But this December will be extra special because I graduate on December 14! This may seem a bit silly, but what I'm most excited for after graduating is the extra time I'll have to read. I'm a true bookworm! This  month is pretty much going to be an ARC catch-up month for me. I've fallen a bit behind on my reading due to my obligations with school, but now that it's letting up, hopefully I'll be able to read all of these quickly!

Becoming Josephine - I received this ARC from LibraryThing and I'm so excited about it! I love French history, especially Revolution era. I started this book last week but had to put it down so I could get some work done for school and finish Game by Anders de la Motte in time for its release tomorrow. You better believe that this book is at the top of my reading list now! It's about the life of Napoleon Bonaparte's wife, Josephine, which is much more exciting than I knew! I'm going to have to look for a biography about her after I finish this novel.

Buzz - this is the sequel to Game, and it's set for release on January 7, 2014. I received an ARC from NetGalley and I look forward to reading it. I heard that this ARC is much more reader friendly than Game was, and since the main problems I had with Game were with the ARC format, not the story itself, I think that I'm going to enjoy Buzz immensely. According to Amazon, Buzz resumes HP's story about 4 months after the start of Game, and although HP now has everything he could possibly want, he misses the adrenaline of the Game. And, according to the plot summary on Amazon, it sounds as though his wish to return to the Game might just come true.

Snowblind - another ARC from NetGalley, this book is set to be published on January 21, 2014. It centers on the New England town of Coventry, which was overcome by a huge blizzard twelve years ago from which the town never recovered. As a new storm approaches, losses from the previous storm are remembered by the town's inhabitants. The book is advertised as a supernatural thriller and I can't wait to see what it's like!

The Tenth Circle - guess where I got this ARC from? That's right, NetGalley! Gotta love that site :) This book's release date is December 17, 2013 (the day after my birthday!) and its protagonist, Blaine McCracken, has to stop terrorists from acting on the night of the President's State of the Union address. This feat is going to be hard enough as it is, but on top of that, Blaine himself is wanted by the government, so he must use every ounce of skill that he has to save the day.

Runner - last one from NetGalley, this book will be released on February 18, 2014. Sam Dryden's happily living out his retirement in Southern California when he encounters a young girl fleeing from would-be murderers. As it turns out, the girl, Rachel, has been kept in a secret prison by the government for her whole life. Why? She has no idea. It's up to Sam to help Rachel de-mystify her past and protect them both from her pursuers.

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe - after a long and very depressing hiatus, my xanga-then-tumblr book club is finally returning for our Christmas break session! The next book on our reading list is this lovely gem, which I've been itching to read for a good two years now. If you're not familiar with it, this is the story of the friendships between Mrs. Threadgoode and Evelyn and Idgie and Ruth, and the latter two ran the little Whistle Stop Cafe in the 1930s. I can't wait to read this, I've heard such good things!

Wild Card - this is an ARC that I received from Entangled Publishing. Catherine Sharp's soul was just won by Eris, the Greek goddess of discord. As if that weren't bad enough, Coyote, a Native American trickster, claims that he won Catherine's soul from Eris in a poker game. When Catherine learns of this, she decides to join in on the fun to try to win her soul back. As can be expected from a poker game with the divine, Catherine's in for a bit more than she barganed for. This book was released on November 25, so you can go get your own copy now, if you wish!

The Highwayman's Bride - set for release on December 9, 2013, this is the tale of Tess Stanhope, who hopes to escape an undesirable marriage by way of highway robbery, executed by the dashing Aidan Masters, who wishes to seek revenge for his sister's abuse at the hands of Florian Nash. Tess blackmails Aidan into going along with her plans to evade an unhappy marriage, but to her surprise, Aidan might be useful for more than just coercion.

Compromising Willa - the third book in the Accidental Peers series is set for release on December 9, 2013, and again, this is an ARC that I've received from Entangled Publishing. This book centers on Lady Wilhelmina Stanhope, who's sadly been ruined. Rather than seeking out a marriage for money, Willa decides to focus on her tea blends, which she secretly uses to support a coffee house that employs poor women and children. The last thing that Willa's looking for is a love triangle, but that's exactly what she finds, thanks to the unsolicited attentions from the Duke of Hartwell and the Earl of Bellingham.

Netherworld - last but not least is this intriguing ARC from LibraryThing, set for release on January 10, 2014. When 19th-century English widow Lady Diana inherits the keep of supernatural portals from her late husband, she finds her hands full with an impending war caused by demonic entities crossing over from the Netherworld. It's up to Diana, accompanied by a Chinese sailor, her feline guardian, and a mysterious scholar, to solve the mystery of her husband's death and prevent a supernatural war with apocalyptic consequences.

I'm so excited to read this month's batch of books! Don't worry, plenty of reviews to come :)

What do you plan to read this holiday season?