bookwormblurbs

Bookworm Blurbs

Ring

This book was so much better than I thought it would be. It's not a book that I would ordinarily read - I'm not a huge fan of horror movies, and just knowing that this is the book that the Ring movies are based on would ordinarily be enough to deter me from reading it. But my book club decided to read it and I do try to be open to reading new books, even if I don't expect to like them.

In this case, I'm SO glad that I decided to read it!

It was a little difficult for me to keep track of all the characters at first. Suzuki throws a lot of names at you right from the beginning, which kind of makes things difficult under any circumstances, but the fact that all the names are Japanese and I am totally unfamiliar with Japanese culture just made that even more confusing than it normally would be. Luckily, that was balanced a little bit by the fact that Suzuki has a very clear, concise writing style, so even if you have a difficult time keeping track of the names, you can at least keep track of the plot.

The plot is really interesting. Because of the movies, I was definitely expecting the book to be way more scary. I'm not sure how close the plot line is to that of the movies, because I've never watched any of them, because I really don't like horror movies, but I would imagine that the movie version really emphasizes the creepier aspects of the story. There definitely are creepy parts, but the book reads more like a psychological thriller/mystery than a horror story, which, as far as I'm concerned, is definitely a good thing. There were some really cool plot twists. The ending is the main reason why I rated this book so high. There's a plot twist at the end which really makes you think. The main character is faced with a moral decision that's definitely a catch-22 (for the record, I would make the same choice that he made). I would recommend reading this book purely based on the way that it ended because it was that good.