bookwormblurbs

Bookworm Blurbs

Reading progress update: I've read 82 out of 472 pages.

Let the Right One in - John Ajvide Lindqvist

Finished the first section! I'm very unsure of what to think of this book. One thing I really admire about the writing is that I've noticed that the author is fantastic at making the reader think that one thing is going on, when really something completely different is happening - there was one part in particular that was written in this way and it makes me really excited to see what other surprises the author has up his sleeve. Also, while there are most definitely some gory parts - and I expect that this will only get worse - so far this book is more suspenseful than scary, which I most definitely prefer.

The most troubling aspect of the book, in my opinion, is Oskar himself. I feel terrible for him because he's so very lonely and is treated horribly by his classmates - no child deserves this, but, unfortunately, many experience it. But the difficulty is that Oskar himself, while a victim, is not exactly innocent. He apparently frequently shoplifts and fantasizes about being a murderer. On one hand, the people who he seems to most want to murder are his bullies, which I suppose makes sense even though it's certainly not right, but at the same time, he's just fascinated by violence and death in general. I feel like I'm reading a book about how one becomes a serial killer, and that's really unsettling to say the least.

If any of you have read this, did you react in the same way?