bookwormblurbs

Bookworm Blurbs

Reading progress update: I've read 179 out of 563 pages.

Beautiful Creatures - Margaret Stohl, Kami Garcia

So far, I really like this book! It's sucked me in and it's very difficult to put it down. I love the supernatural elements and I especially appreciate that the authors are NOT info dumping or insta-loving. YA books rarely avoid these flaws and so far, Beautiful Creatures has. I love that!

But, like any other book, it does have flaws. I can tell which parts were written by a different author, and I definitely prefer one author's style to the other's (though I'm not sure who wrote which parts). I think this is a huge flaw, but one that's difficult to avoid when co-writing. I believe that, generally speaking, the goal when co-writing a book should be to create a book that reads as though it had been written by one person. Unfortunately, these authors weren't able to accomplish this goal. One thing that has really irked me is that one of the authors is really insistent on attempting to write in a Southern dialect - and not only is she doing a crappy job of it, she also is inconsistent in using it. Some characters will have it, some won't, and those who do won't use it all the time. The authors should have reached a consensus about whether or not to use the dialect, and if they decided to use it, it should have been used by all the characters who are native to Gatlin, as Ethan makes it clear that everyone in Gatlin has lived there their whole lives, and thus, they should all speak more or less the same.

So there are definitely some elements of this book that are getting under my skin, but for the most part, I am enjoying the story. I can't wait to find out what happens next!