bookwormblurbs

Bookworm Blurbs

The Battle of the Labyrinth

Percy Jackson and the Battle of the Labyrinth - Rick Riordan

Percy Jackson isn't expecting freshman orientation to be any fun. But when a mysterious mortal acquaintance appears on campus, followed by demon cheerleaders, things quickly move from bad to worse.
In this fourth installment of the blockbuster series, time is running out as war between the Olympians and the evil Titan lord Kronos draws near. Even the safe haven of Camp Half-Blood grows more vulnerable by the minute as Kronos's army prepares to invade its once impenetrable borders. To stop the invasion, Percy and his demigod friends must set out on a quest through the Labyrinth - a sprawling underground world with stunning surprises at every turn. (source)

I'm so glad that Percy Jackson and the Olympians isn't one of those series that gets you all excited in the beginning and then completely loses its appeal in later book! I think that this may have been my favorite book in the series so far. There were a lot of loose ends that were tied up - but still a lot of questions left unanswered for the fifth and final book in the series, The Last Olympian.

As I write this review, I'm kind of amazed by how much Riordan packed into this one book. It's not too much longer than the others, but I feel like so much more happened in it - not that the others lacked action by any means. I was glad that Annabeth was returned to the group in this book, even though there were times when she definitely got under my skin (but she had good reason to so I'm not too salty about it), but I was also glad that additional characters were introduced - namely Rachel Dare. I really liked the direction that Riordan chose to take with her, and I think her character demonstrates how much planning must have gone into this series.

I also really liked that even though the laybrinth is the main focus of the book and the group reaches it fairly early on in the novel, there were plenty of other places that they visited during their quest. This could very easily have been a book that stagnated in one setting for the majority of the novel (as was the case with Diana Gabaldon's Dragonfly in Amber - I really liked that book and I really like France, but I so wish the characters hadn't spent so much time there!), but instead, Riordan threw a bunch of curveballs to the reader in terms of where the heroes went over the course of the story.

The biggest complaint that I have is that I wish that we could have seen more of Grover and Tyson's adventures after they split off from Percy and Annabeth. I realize that they probably weren't relevant to the story and I'm glad that Riordan at least showed us the most important parts of it, but I've been interested by Grover's search for Pan throughout the series and I would've liked to have seen a little bit more of it in this book, especially since such major progress occurred with it. However, much as I would've liked to have seen more, I understand why Riordan chose to leave that out, and, I have to admit, from an editing standpoint, this was probably wise.

I can't believe that I'm almost done with this series! It has definitely been a fun read. Today's the start of my spring semester so my pace is going to most likely be slower from now until the end of April, but I'm hoping to at least finish The Last Olympian today. The first session of my Resources for Young Adults course is tomorrow night and I'm technically supposed read the Hunger Games and the Twilight series by then, but I've accepted that that's just not going to happen. It's okay, though - I've read them both before; it just would have been nice to have a refresher before we discuss everything.

Well, on to The Last Olympian! Happy Monday, everyone!